- Use only mobile phones having SIM Card registered by the owner only.
- Purchase Mobile Phone having IMEI Number and which was marked in the bill.
- Never hand over SIM card to other people.
- Purchase Mobile Phones from genuine dealers / sellers.
- If you are buying second hand mobile set, you should make sure about its genuineness and purchased only from genuine dealers / seller with original bills and other related documents.
- Inform Local Police immediately about loss of mobile phone, SIM Cards etc. and obtain receipt from there.
Monday, June 13, 2011
Kerala Cyber Police caught a youth named Saleesh Kumar, aged 27 from Pandalam in Pathanamthitta District for cyber stalking through mobile phone. He was regularly made unsolicited mobile phone calls and sending malicious SMS messages to several women within the state and outside for the last one year. Pandalam Police arrested the accused with the help of Cyber Crime Police team headed by Mr. Sukumara Pillai, DySP & SHO, Cyber Police Station, Kerala and Mr. Joshy Mathew, Inspector of Police, Mr. C.G. Sujikumar, SI of Police and Mrs. S.S. Poornima, Civil Police Officer of Cyber Police Station, Thiruvananthapuram.
According to Cyber Police the accused had made over 7,000 unsolicited calls and sent over 10,000 SMS messages with malicious contents to the mobile phones of about 200 women over the last few months. He obtained the mobile phone numbers of women by random number dialing method. Several women had fallen into the trap set by the accused, who could speak fluent English
The accused Saleesh was making the calls and sending SMS messages using a mobile phone connection taken in the name of another woman.. He was confident that he would never be caught as he was using a SIM card that was obtained from one of his victim girl but the original subscriber of the SIM card is another girl who handed over the SIM card to one of her friend several months back.
Cyber Police traced the accused by using scientific investigation methods including social networking site profiling, mobile log and tower location analysis, email id details, telephone directory, electoral voters list etc. Several petitions were registered against cyber stalking in several Police Stations in Kerala.